Dry eye can be an annoying problem that affects some people every year. If you often suffer from dry eye, your eye doctor in Weston, FL may be able to help. It helps to know what dry eye is, what causes dry eye, and what you can do about it. You can help control your dry eye by making some lifestyle changes and changes to your environment. If your dry eye is severe, your eye doctor can help too. Here’s what to know.
What Is Dry Eye?
Dry eye is a condition wherein the eye makes insufficient tears to keep itself properly moist. Dry eye can cause a range of symptoms including:
- Scratching or itching sensation around the eyes, the feeling something is in the eyes
- Eyes are red and inflamed
- Eyes make more tears than usual and become watery (to accommodate for the eyes being dry)
- Blurry vision and frequent eye fatigue
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses
- Difficulty with night vision and driving at night
Dry eye can have some conditions that are similar to other conditions, so if you have some of these symptoms and aren’t sure if it’s dry eye, talk to your eye doctor.
What Causes Dry Eye?
Dry eye can be caused by a variety of factors including medications you’re taking, hormone changes, seasonal allergies, environmental factors and age.
What Can You Do to Help Your Dry Eye?
If you have dry eye, the following tips can help you control the problem:
- Use artificial tears (over the counter product)
- Use a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time in your home
- Use sunglasses that wrap around your face to protect your eyes from sun and wind
- Avoid using a blow dryer, and if you do, keep it on a low, cool setting
- Limit your screen time, and take frequent breaks when using screens
- Stay hydrated
Need More Help With Dry Eye? See Your Eye Doctor
If you’re suffering from dry eye in Weston, FL, your eye doctor at Rouse Family Eye Care can help you manage your problem. Your eye doctor may be able to identify the cause of your dry eye, and if prescription medication is required, your eye doctor can prescribe it. Call today to make an appointment.